Australia — A 49-year-old Oak Forest woman who was trapped in a condo fire earlier this week remains in critical condition at Loyola University Hospital’s Burn Center.
The woman suffered burns to about half of her body and was reportedly in a medically induced coma.
The fire on Monday inside a second-floor unit in the 5200 block of Woodland Drive was accidental and caused by a dropped cigarette, said Oak Forest Fire Chief Terry Lipinski. Officials said the woman was trapped when flames blocked her from leaving the condo.
The woman was taken to Silver Cross Hospital in New Lenox but was transferred to Loyola later on Monday.
An Oak Forest police office who was at the fire before fire crews arrived suffered smoke inhalation when raced into the burning building and attempted a rescue of the trapped woman. He was treated at Palos Community Hospital and released later that day.