North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
North Atlantic Treaty Organization
Since the early 1990s the Global Fire Monitoring Center (GFMC) and its predecessor institution (Fire Ecology Research Group) has cooperated with the NATO Scientific Affairs Division. The following reports and papers covering regional to global wildland fire issues were prepared at the GFMC:
- NATO’s Support in Fire Research
- NATO Workshop: Science Policy: New Mechanisms for Scientific Collaboration between East and West (Novosibirsk, Russia, 22-25 November 1993)
- NATO Workshop: Sediment Records of Biomass Burning and Global Change (Algarve, Portugal, 11-14 October 1994)
- NATO Targeted Program of Cooperative Research (Moscow, Russia, 30-31 October 2000)
The Euro-Atlantic Disaster Response Coordination Centre (EADRCC) was created in 1998 as the focal point for coordinating disaster relief efforts of the 46 Euro-Atlantic Partnership Council (EAPC) nations in case of natural or technological disasters within the EAPC geographical area. The GFMC is linked to EADRCC.
For the first time a large forest fire exercise has been prepared under the auspices of EADRCC. The field exercise “Taming the Dragon – Dalmatia 2002” is a Croatian contribution to the Partnership Work Programme (PWP). The exercise will be primarily conducted as a PWP Euro-Atlantic Disaster Response Coordination Centre (EADRCC) and Euro-Atlantic Disaster Response Unit (EADRU) activity. It will also involve other existing networks and organizations such as the Disaster Preparedness and Prevention Initiative (DPPI) of the Stability Pact, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) and the South East Europe Group (SEEGROUP). GFMC is a participant of the exercise.
- Exercise “Taming the Dragon – Dalmatia 2002”
- GFMC contribution for “Taming the Dragon – Dalmatia 2002”
- NATO South East Europe Security Cooperation Steering Group (SEEGROUP) progress report (08 June 2001)