Firefighters said a vulture was the cause of a fire that destroyed approximately three acres of dry grass and brush on Groeschke Road just west of Highway 6 Wednesday afternoon.
According to a spokesperson at the Houston Fire Department Engine 90, the vultures large wingspan caused it to hit the telephone pole, electrocuting it. The dead bird fell, igniting the ground below. Dry conditions and dead grass caused the fire spread quickly.
Fort Bend, Harris and Waller Counties have all enacted burn bans, and the public is asked to use caution in such dry conditions.
Houston Fire Department Engine 90, Westlake Booster 41, Cy-Fair Booster 8 and Houston Booster 77 responded to the scene.