Bush fire claims life of retiree

30 April 2019

Published by http://www.guardian.co.tt/

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO  – The dry sea­son proved to be fa­tal for La Ro­maine re­tiree Michael Chadee whose burnt corpse was found in­side his home on Mon­day evening.

In­ves­ti­ga­tors said Chadee, 67, was prob­a­bly asleep when a bush fire along Al­la­har Street de­stroyed his wood­en and con­crete house. An au­top­sy yes­ter­day said he died from in­hal­ing tox­ic fumes, con­sis­tent with fire.

Ac­cord­ing to re­ports, of­fi­cers from the Mon Re­pos Fire Sta­tion re­spond­ed and put out the fire.

Neigh­bours said Chadee had left home dur­ing the morn­ing pe­ri­od. The fire start­ed short­ly af­ter lunch and around 3.30 pm when fire­fight­ers re­spond­ed to an­oth­er re­port of fire along Al­la­har Street, they had to cov­er a wider area. As they swept through the bushy ter­rain, they dis­cov­ered Chadee’s home where he was found him dead in­side. In­ves­ti­ga­tors said the house had no elec­tric­i­ty.

A neigh­bour said no one saw when Chadee re­turned home and sus­pect­ed that he might have been sleep­ing when the fire reached his home.

Chadee’s nephew Ramesh Ram­sawak said rel­a­tives had on­ly learned about his death yes­ter­day and were in shock. Speak­ing at his home in Fyz­abad yes­ter­day, Ram­sawak said his un­cle had sur­vived ill­ness and surgery and it was sad to see him die like that.

“He lived qui­et­ly. This is a shock for me. I know he was good af­ter his surgery and for him to burn in his house like that, some­thing has to be wrong,” Ram­sawak said.

He said his un­cle owned a pho­to stu­dio be­fore he left Trinidad to live abroad with his fam­i­ly. Years lat­er, Chadee re­turned to Trinidad with­out his fam­i­ly and worked at a mo­bile phone out­let. When he turned 65, he was not able to get his gov­ern­ment pen­sion and took up con­struc­tion jobs. (KF)

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien