China — A forest fire that broke out on Monday in southwest China’s Yunnan Province was caused by a short circuit at a high-voltage power line, local authorities said on Wednesday.
Strong winds blew down a dead tree, which hit a nearby high-voltage power transmission line, resulting in the short circuit and triggering the fire, according to the publicity department of the Shangri-La County.
The forest fire broke out around 3 p.m. on Monday at a mountain in Xinjian Village, Jinjiang Township of Shangri-La County.
The fire was completely under control as of Wednesday thanks to the efforts of over 1,200 locals and firefighters, the department said.
No casualties have been reported in the fire so far. The area is not a tourist site.