Mumford Grass Fire Burns Hundreds of Hay Bales

Mumford Grass Fire Burns Hundreds of Hay Bales

05 January 2014

published by

USA — The windy weather played a role fueling a grass fire in Mumford Sunday.

It started around 12:30 P.M. and burned a travel trailer and hundreds of hay bales.

News 3 was there as firefighters worked to get the fire under control.

A screen of smoke blanketed the fields around Mumford in Robertson County for hours.

More than 20 firefighters from three departments fought back a ten acre grass fire that burned an estimated 200 to 300 hay bales.

The fire fight happened just off F-M 50 near Mumford Circle.

Hearne Firefighter Steven Alvarado says they believe trim from a barn fell onto a power line.

“When it fell it arced on the grass and which caught the grass on fire. And then it caught the bales of about ten acres of grass on fire and caught the hay bales on fire behind us,” said Alvarado.

A travel trailer was destroyed despite firefighters being out in force. This gusty wind from the north made the fire difficult to manage.

“It was pretty hard today trying to get a handle on the fire. Got the wind coming out from the north heading south and you know it’s hard to keep it going with all the hay bales we’ve got on fire behind us. The wind conditions is hurting us pretty good keeping the smoke with trying to stay behind the smoke so nobody gets a lot of smoke inhalation,” added Alvarado.

The property owners were not there at the time.

The fire came close to a vacant mobile home but left it unharmed as the winds never let up.

While the fire was mostly put out by midafternoon some hotspots were left smoldering because of the conditions.

No one was injured in the fire.

*Previous Story*

A fast-moving fire burned an estimated 200 to 300 hay bales in Mumford Sunday afternoon, according to firefighters there on scene.

Hearne Firefighters tell us the blaze started around 12:30 P.M. when they believe trim on a barn fell onto a power line causing it to arc.

An estimated ten acres were burned at the property off F-M 50 near Mumford Circle and close to the Mumford schools.

Firefighters from Hearne, Black Jack, and Brazos County Precinct Four were called to assist as gusty winds from the north made it difficult to control.

A vacant travel trailer was also destroyed in the fire and the fire came close to a vacant mobile home.

No injuries were reported.

News 3’s Clay Falls will have the latest details Sunday night at ten.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien