PICKERING — Pickering Fire Services is reminding residents that open air burning is banned within the city after a man suffered severe burns from a backyard brush fire.
On the evening of Sunday, May 5 a man suffered first-, second- and third-degree burns on his legs while burning brush in the backyard of his Highbush Trail home.
“Open air burning is not permitted in Pickering,”said Steve Fowlds, fire prevention officer for Pickering Fire Services.
“There are associated risks to your own and adjacent properties. Also you can’t contain the smoke to your own backyard, so you can bother neighbours and create a lot of false alarms for the City.”
Open air burning, including the use of fire pits, chimineas and table-style fire pits, is prohibited in Pickering under the Ontario Fire Code. Any contravention of the code carries a maximum fine of $50,000 or one year in jail.
Mr. Fowlds suggests anyone wishing to enjoy an outdoor fire should use a natural gas or propane fire pit. These fire pits are classified as appliances and produce flames and heat but emit no smoke, ash or embers.