Veld fire consumes granny

Veld fire consumes granny

12 October 2012

published by

Zimbabwe – Masvingo Bureau. AN 81-year-old Mwenezi woman was last Tuesday burnt beyond recognition after a veld fire she had started spiralled out of control and engulfed her.

Ambuya Magai Baloyi of Plot 72 at Mbavarira Ranch was burnt to death after her clothes caught fire as she frantically tried to douse the raging flames near her homestead.

Her charred body was recovered by one of her daughters eight hours later as villagers rummaged through the smouldering tree stumps looking for her.

Acting Masvingo police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Charity Mazula yesterday said Ambuya Baloyi’s body was waiting to undergo a post-mortem at Masvingo General Hospital.

“The granny’s remains were taken to Masvingo General Hospital where they will undergo a post mortem,” said Ass Insp Mazula.

On the day in question, Ambuya Baloyi was alone at home when she decided to go near her fields to clear some pastures by burning them.

On arrival, she is said to have started a fire but it went out of control, raging through the plains prompting her to try and put it out.

However, her clothes caught fire, resulting in her being burnt beyond recognition.

Every year, people lose their lives through veld fires usually started to clear pastures and fields during the dry season.

Besides causing loss of life, veld fires consume thousands of hectares of grasslands and forests while destroying the habitat for small creatures.




Print Friendly, PDF & Email
WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien