India — Dry grass piled up in an open area near the Air Traffic Control (ATC) at Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) in Shamshabad caught fire on Friday afternoon.
Passengers noticed the flames around noon and alerted airport officials, who pressed into service three fire tenders from the airport fire station.
As it became difficult for them to douse the flames, fire-fighters from the Chandulal Baradari station rushed to the spot and controlled the fire in four hours.
Chandulal Baradari Station Fire Officer B. Suresh Reddy said that fire could have been caused due to careless smoking. Casual attitude by smokers in extinguishing burnt cigarette butt might have led to the mishap, he explained.
This is the second such incident that was reported near the airport.
Dry grass piled up in an open place opposite the airport caught fire in a similar manner last year.