Loss from Ray May Fire now at 10 buildings; containment still set for Sunday

Loss from Ray May Fire now at 10 buildings; containment still set for Sunday

20 August 2011

published bywww.rgj.com


USA — 11:45 a.m. update: Sierra Front Wildfire Cooperators report the Ray May Fire southeast of Gardnerville is 85 percent contained now and that crews expect to have a line all the way around the fire by Sunday.

The size of the fire that started Tuesday is now listed as 3,895 acres.

It reports that 10 buildings have been lost, three more than reported Friday, but did not break down the number that were homes and those that were buildings like sheds, garages or barns.

Sierra Front reports mop up continues. The latest information is that there are 608 people on the fire, including 16 hand crews.

8:15 p.m. update: Full containment for 3,895-acre wildfire in Douglas Co. pushed back to Sunday, Sierra Front fire responders report Friday night. Now at 85 percent. The fire continued to smolder in Friday, officials said.

Earlier summary story:

Two 15-year-old boys suspected of starting a wildfire that burned more than five square miles southeast of Gardnerville will remain in detention until a hearing can be held.
District Judge David Gamble denied requests by defense lawyers Thursday to place the teenagers under house arrest or in the custody of their parents.

Defense lawyers said that the Ray May Fire, which has an estimated 3,895 acres, was an accident that went terribly wrong. Officials said the teenagers built a campfire near a makeshift fort and didn’t properly extinguish it.

But prosecutors said that one of the boys allegedly admitted starting other fires.
KRNV News 4 reported that Gamble offered to recuse himself because he lived in the fire area, but both the prosecution and defense opted to keep him on the case.

The Ray May Fire was 85 percent contained Friday night, and fire crews expected to have a line completely around the fire by Sunday, two days later than originally estimated earlier in the week. The fire continued to creep and smolder on Friday, Sierra Front fire responders said.

Seven structures burned, including one unoccupied dwelling owned by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, a seasonal guest house on private land, and five outbuildings.
Pinenut Road was closed for everyone except residents Friday.

“Firefighters made great progress in suppressing and securing containment lines around the (perimeter) of the fire yesterday and into the night,” Sierra Front said. “Today, firefighters will begin mopping up and will continue to work to secure containment lines.”

A new command team took over the fire at 6 a.m. No major flare-ups were reported overnight Thursday, Sierra Front said.


WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien