USA — The TPC Wakefield Golf Course was open Sunday after a wildfire damaged the course and three homes located in the development Saturday afternoon.
NBC17 viewer Allen Ashforth said the fire seemed to begin on the 12th hole of the golf course. Ashforth said the fire was between the Rosemont and Savannah subdivisions.
Falls Volunteer Fire Department Chief Chris Wilson said the fire broke out about 3:15 and three homes had minor damage, but the fire was out about 5 p.m. Firefighters worked into the evening to soak hot spots.
Roads into the development were closed off as firefighters worked to control the flames. Major roads were open by 7 p.m., but Wilson said some streets inside the development could be closed during the mopup operation.
About 75 firefighters and 40 fire trucks were called to the scene.
Some residents living on Victoria Park Lane in the Rosemont Subdivision reportedly evacuated their homes although there was no order to do so.
Vicki LaPort was back in her home late Saturday, after evacuating earlier in the day when a neighbor came to warn her about the fire.
“Very scary. It was just like what you see on TV,” she said.
Chief Wilson said the fire started out small on the side of a road and could have been caused by something like a discarded cigarette. “The wind quickly drove it within a few minutes,” he said.
An official for TPC Wakefield Plantation told NBC-17 News that the golf course was open for play on Sunday. The 12th and 13th holes were closed and the tee on the 14th hole was moved.
Chief Wilson said with the threat of wildfires again on Monday, his crews were making sure their equipment is ready.