India — Dry grass piled up at an open area opposite the Rajiv Gandhi International airport (RGIA) caught fire on Thursday afternoon. Fire officials said the incident occurred between 2.30 pm and 3.30 pm.
Three fire tenders from Chandulal Baradari, Langar Houz and Musheerabad and another three vehicles from the airport fire services were pressed into service to extinguish the fire.
It took the fire officials more than four-and-a-half hours to douse the fire as it was spreading to different directions. Located one kilometre from the road, it posed no danger to buildings in the neighbourhood. According to officials, an unextinguished cigarette butt could be the reason for the fire.