Uganda — OVER 100 residents of Holy Rosary in Gulu municipality were on Monday left without shelter, food and clothing when fire gutted 34 grass-thatched huts. The fire reportedly sparked off by a woman who was cooking in her hut occured at 9.00am.
Florence Anena, 20, said she was cooking when a strong wind blew flames from the fire to the dry grass of the roof and spread out burning her house and others in the neighbourhood.
I did not do it deliberately, I beg to be forgiven,she lamented.
Her husband, Bosco Oryem, collapsed and was rushed to hospital when he returned home and found his house burnt.
Patrick Okot, a resident who claimed to have lost over sh1m in the fire appealed for help from the Government.
This is the second time fire is gutting huts in this area. Over 15 huts were razed down by fire under similar circumstances last year.
Moses Byabagye, the crime investigations officer asked Government to help the people affected.