NSW bushfire prevention gets $50 million

NSW bushfire prevention gets $50 million

13 November 2010

published by bigpondnews.com


Australia —  More than $50 million will be spent to substantially increase hazard reduction operations in a bid to prevent a Black Saturday bushfire disaster in NSW.

Premier Kristina Keneally and Emergency Services Minister Steve Whan will fund the work in response to a royal commission into the Victorian tragedy.

Sources told The Daily Telegraph the big boost to the Rural Fire Service budget will include the provision of a new warning system and a better communication system.

The money would be spent buying new equipment and funding increased hazard reduction operations around the state. The money will be spread between the RFS, National Parks and the SES.

Victoria’s Black Saturday fires in February last year killed 173 people and left 414 injured.

‘All the states were required to respond to the royal commission and as usual NSW was last,’ one source said.

‘The money is predominantly aimed at backburning. There is new money for an enhanced warning and communication system.’
 


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien