USA — The fire is not a big deal, said Lt. Jeff Taylor of Brevard County Fire-Rescue. But we do have a lot of bees.
“Firefighters attempted to make access to the fire by cutting through the brush but had to abandon their efforts when a swarm of bees began to sting them.”
The one-acre blaze was reported at 4:44 p.m. close to the intersection of Minton and Eber roads, near Interstate 95. To the west is the Mustard Seed Kidz Preschool, and to the east is the Quail Run Mobile Home Estates on Eber Road.
But no structures were in danger, Taylor said.
Eber Road was closed until about 8:15 p.m. The Florida Highway Patrol was warned that smoke could hinder traffic flow on the interstate.
Theyre cutting a line around it, Taylor said. Theyll just let it burn itself out.
On Wednesday night, a Melbourne firefighter was in stable condition while being treated at Holmes Regional Medical Center after suffering an allergic reaction to the bee stings suffered at the scene. A county firefighter also was treated at the Melbourne hospital, but he later returned to the scene.
Taylor said the overlay gear that crews wear while battling wildfires does not completely cover the skin and is only a single layer thick. Firefighters still are susceptible to burns — and bees.
Theres openings at the wrist, hands, face, neck, he said. There is exposed skin.