namibia: FINAL year examinations at Valombola Vocational Training Centre (VVCT) were virtually brought to a standstill yesterday when a wild bonfire threatened the college. The fire started from the Ongwediva University of Namibia (Unam) campus but quickly spread towards the VVTC where it engulfed the premises disrupting examinations and prompting an evacuation. When Informanté arrived at the scene, some students and vocational instructors were coughing and braving the heat while rendering assistance to the fire-fighters who fought the inferno for about two hours. The two fire tanks had to be refilled twice before bringing the fireunder control as both Unam and VTC premises, including Philemon Moongos Uukumwe bar located in-between, were caught in the raging blaze. Some VTC students, who stood looking on, claimed the fire started north east of the centre and spread fast in the direction of the welding and electrical departments and then towards the hostels, prompting them to hastily pack their luggage and other belongings before moving out.We had to react fast and grab whatever we could in fear the buildings would catch fire, they said. VTC Principal Titus Malangu, said about 20 fire extinguishers were delivered to the centre and of these, more than 10 were used to fight the fire. Malangu also said the electrical general practical examination would be rescheduled. Its unfortunate the exams were disrupted but a new time slot will be made available. It is also a coincidence if not fate as 20 fire extinguishers were delivered this week and were used to fight that fire, said Malangu.