Elderly couple left in the cold

Elderly couple left in the cold

17 August 2010

published by www.times.co.sz

Swaziland — An elderly couple of Malanti in the northern Hhohho were on Sunday shocked when they discovered that their three houses were burnt by a fire.

Kholwane Dlamini said he was from attending a funeral at Nkomazi when he discovered that his three thatched houses and all his household items had been burnt to ashes.

Dlamini, 66, who only resides with his wife said all his items were burnt and was only left with the clothes he was wearing.

“I am a carpenter and my wife is unemployed. All my equipment has been burnt and I have got no other source of income,” he said.

The three houses were burnt by a veld fire allegedly started by children.

Dlamini and his wife are currently staying at a Gumedze homestead. He said residents tried to put out the flames but their efforts proved futile as the houses were already burnt when they arrived. Dlamini said when personnel from the Fire and Emergency department arrived all the household items were already burnt to ashes.

Dlamini appealed to members of the public to assist him and his wife as they have no food and accommodation. He said among the items that were burnt are two beds, pots and personal documents.

Residents suspect that the fire was started by two children who were spotted playing with matches around the area on Sunday. The children were from buying the matches from a local shop when they later decided to burn grass near the homestead.

…stop veld fires – DPM

LOBAMBA— Deputy Prime Minister Themba Masuku said he was disappointed by the carelessness displayed by Swazis in the starting of veld fires.

The DPM said although the disaster team had not reported the latest incident to him, he would ensure that assistance was dispatched immediately.

He said the fires were destroying the little economy that the country had and said these veld fires had also led to the burning of SAPPI forests.

He pleaded with the Swazi nation to stop this practice. Nkhaba MP Enock Dlamini said he had been informed of the incident and had carried out an inspection.

He said he would go to the Disaster Management Team this morning to report the matter.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien