United Kingdom — Firefighters were attacked by mindless youths as they attended a grass fire in the grounds of Cardiff Castle at the weekend.
The youngsters hurled missiles as the emergency services attempted to douse the flames at the end of a day in which their resources had been stretched to the limit, with the service receiving more than 900 calls across South Wales.
Police had to be called to disperse the group, after which the fire service spent 44 minutes at the scene on Saturday night.
A city councillor last night hit out at their behaviour and described it as appalling.
A spokesman for South Wales Fire Service said: We were called to a fire in the woods at 9.20pm on Saturday but, when the five firemen got there, there was a large group of youths throwing objects at them and threatening them.
The fire personnel called the control room and police assistance was requested.
Thankfully, nobody was injured and the fire was extinguished by 10.09pm.
Simon Wakefield, Liberal Democrat Cardiff county councillor for Cathays, said: Its appalling.
The fire service should be able to concentrate on the task in hand rather than having to ensure they are not in danger from mindless youths throwing objects at them.
I am not impressed by this. The fire service does a tremendous job and incidents like these are counter-productive to that.
The castle fire came towards the end of a hugely demanding day for the fire service.
Across South Wales, grass, mountain and bush fires stretched the weekend resources to the limit.
The spokesman said: The warm weather meant there was a large number of calls on Saturday.
Between 9am and 10pm there were 910 calls, including 580 that came in after 6pm.
The biggest fires were at Llanwonno, Blorenge Mountain, Caerphilly Mountain and Clydach Vale.
At the busiest time, more than 50 fire service resources were dealing with incidents across the area.