Residents warned of grass fire dangers after teen is injured

Residents warned of grass fire dangers after teen is injured

10 April 2010

published by www.fireengineering.com


UK —    Residents in Burton and East Staffordshire are being warned of the dangers of grass fires after a teenager suffered burns trying to put one out.

The incident happened on Tuesday when firefighters were sent to deal with the small grass fire. On arrival they came across a 14- yearold boy who had suffered minor bur ns.

The teenager had tried to stamp the fire out and in the process his tracksuit bottoms had set alight.

He was treated by paramedics but did not attend hospital.

A spokesman for Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The teenager was extremely lucky that the burns were only minor.

“Last April we dealt with nearly 250 grass fires – we don’t want to be attending the same number this April.

“For every grass fire we deal with, it means that firefighters are not available to attend other incidents, some of which could be life-threatening.

“With the Easter holidays in full swing we’d urge parents and guardians to warn their children of both the dangers and serious consequences associated with starting small fires.”

In a six-hour period from 2pm to 8pm on Tuesday, the county’s firefighters dealt with 16 deliberatelystarted grass fires.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien