New Milford teen injured while burning tree

New Milford teen injured while burning tree

22 March 2010

published by

USA —  A 13-year-old boy suffered smoke inhalation when he and two friends ignited a Christmas tree in the woods on Bass Road, and wind and dry ground conditions caused it to spread into a small brush fire, said Fire Marshal Karen Facey.

Firefighters called to the scene Thursday were able to extinguish the brush fire before expanded beyond a small area, Facey said, adding the fire was deemed an accident.

The injured boy was transported to New Milford Hospital.

Dry ground conditions have prompted several brush fires in town, and Facey cautioned against burning without procuring a $50 town permit that is good for up to 20 days.

Until there is some heavy rain and new vegetation, Facey said any type of burning must be done with extreme caution.

She said the town’s burn permit requirements follow state Department of Environmental Protection regulations that prohibit burning anything over 3 feet in diameter. Residents are also prohibited from burning leaves or construction debris.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien