BFP sees rise in Metro Manila fire incidents

BFP sees rise in Metro Manila fire incidents

02 March 2010

published by www.abs-cbnnews.com


Philippines —  An architect died after being trapped inside his burning home in Pasig City, before dawn Tuesday.

Fire investigators said Bayani Santos failed to escape the fire that razed his boarding house in Barangay Ilog around 3 a.m..

Authorities said the predawn fire lasted for at least 20 minutes. Boarders at Santos’s house were able to escape.

Senior Superintendent Pablito Cordeta, chief of the Bureau of Fire (BFP) in Metro Manila, said the incident is only one of the 4 new fire incidents that broke out at the start of the Fire Prevention Month.

Cordeta said they are seeing an increase in the incidents of fire compared to last year’s data.

“Tumaas ng 35 percent ang insidente ng sunog. Huwag tayong magpabaya (The incidents increased by 35 percent. Be careful),” the metro fire chief said.

He said that the BFP recorded a total of 1,198 fire incidents in Metro Manila in January and February.

He said that at the rate that Metro Manila is going, the BFP fears the total fire incidents that could be recorded in the metropolis will breach last year’s 8,271.

Cordeta, meanwhile, raised the alarm over the increasing number of grass fire incidents in Pasig City.

He said that a total of 10 grass fire incidents have been recorded since January, including the grass fire that hit on Monday a grassy portion of Sandoval Avenue, which is located near a residential area.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien