Fire Service holds sensitization exercise in Mfantseman

Fire Service holds sensitization exercise in Mfantseman

14 February 2010

published by  www.ghanaweb.com


Ghana — Narkwa (C/R), Feb. 14, GNA – The Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) has embarked on a fire sensitization exercise in communities along the Ochie River in the Mfantseman Municipality. The Community-Based Rural Development Project CBRDP is funding the programme, which is aimed at protecting the river, which is the main source of water for the people of Mfantseman, Ajumako-Enyan-Essiam and Abura-Asebu-Kwamankese Districts.

The GNFS led by Divisional Officer Grade I, Samuel Adabo, had so far undertaken the exercise in 14 communities, including Ekumpoano, Essarkyir, Essuehyia and Narkwa. The fire officers sensitized the people on the need to protect the environment from degradation. At Narkwa, Mr Adabo urged the people to make the prevention of bushfires “everybody’s business” in the community. He said bushfires and indiscriminate felling of trees had contributed to the climate change, affecting the rainfall pattern, which had become erratic and making farming a risky job. Mr Adabo urged farmers, hunters, palm wine tapers and smokers to be careful with how they manage fires in the bush as the harmattan season was not yet over. He said the GNFS had recruited some youth in the communities for training as fire volunteers and appealed to the chiefs to give them the necessary support to do their work effectively after the training.

Mr Adabo also appealed to District, Municipal and Metropolitan Assemblies to enforce the law on indiscriminate bush burning, adding that, when culprits were severely punished, it would serve as a deterrent to others in the community.

Mr John Arkorful, Mankessim Station Officer, who talked on domestic fires called on Town and Country Planning Officers to ensure that structures were constructed according to plan. He said the Service could have helped in controlling some fire disasters in the markets and the homes if access routes had been provided. Mr Arkorful cautioned the people against over-loading their electrical sockets and advised that care must be taken when using gas, candles and mosquito coils.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien