Australia — A Melbourne terrorism suspect accused of plotting to attack a New South Wales army base has again been refused bail.
Saney Aweys, 26, of Carlton North, today lost his second bail application after the Melbourne Magistrates Court ruled he had failed to show new circumstances in his case.
It is alleged that Aweys and four other men plotted an armed attack on the Holsworthy army base in New South Wales.
During today’s application, the court was told Aweys believed he had been victimised by prison staff and taunted by other prisoners after the media reported comments that he had allegedly made about last Summer’s Victorian bushfires.
His lawyer told the court that thanking Allah for the Black Saturday bushfires may be abhorrent but it was not illegal.
The court heard Aweys planned to take his complaint to prison authorities.
Aweys has been remanded in custody and will return to court next week.