Australia — Almost $2 million is distributed to bushfire victims daily to help with the recovery process, data from the Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund has revealed.
A report released by the fund’s advisory panel 100 days after the February 7 bushfires – which killed 173 people and destroyed more than 2,000 homes – shows the allocation of funding has been made through more than 10 types of grants to bushfire survivors.
Fund chairman John Landy said $60 million of the “unprecedented” $351 million in funds raised across the globe had already been paid to 7,000 families and individuals in need.
These included initial emergency payments issued just days after the fires to medium-term grants to repair and rebuild homes.
“We will continue to stand by communities and support them in the rebuilding and recovery effort now and as it continues into the future,” Mr Landy said in a statement.
“The advisory panel will continue to consult with affected communities to ensure this much-needed assistance is getting to those who need it, when they need it.”
The report details how the panel determines its decisions on funding allocations, including a requirement that funding “aligns with expectations of affected individuals and communities”.
The panel also allocates funding in line with donor expectations for the use of funds, it says.