Norfolk man burned in grass fire

Norfolk man burned in grass fire

4 May 2009

published by


A Norfolk man was burned Sunday while trying to extinguish a grass fire on his property.

A spokeswoman for Saint Elizabeth Regional Medical Center’s Burn Unit, said today that 66-year-old Joe Schmidt remains hospitalized in serious condition.

Schmidt, who sustained burns to his lower extremities, was transferred to the Lincoln hospital Sunday from Faith Regional Health Services in Norfolk.

At 2:17 p.m. Sunday firefighters responded to the grass fire at 55931 East Highway 275. Upon arrival, the Norfolk Fire Division said in a statement released today that they found a one acre grass fire which had spread onto adjacent property and started 20 large round hay bales on fire. The hay, which is owned by Wayne and Barb Ohlrichs, was valued at $1,500.

Firefighters remained on the scene until 6:30 p.m. The cause of the fire is said to be accidental in nature.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien