Harlingen firefighters battle winds, gas leak and grass fire

Harlingen firefighters battle winds, gas leak and grass fire

26 January 2009

published by www.valleycentral.com


USA — Harlingen residents experienced some tense moments on a windy Monday morning as emergency crews worked frantically to put out a grassfire while controlling a gas leak at the same time.

It all happened around 11am when the Harlingen fire department received numerous calls about a grass fire and a gas leak in the vicinity of Bass Boulevard and Business 83.

According to officials a main gas pipe line broke.

They believe some tractors grading a lot next to the rail road tracks dug too deep and caused the leak.

About 100 homes were evacuated but residents have since been allowed to return.

Business 83 and FM 800, who were also shut down at the time, have reopened.

Some feared that a small grassfire nearby would cause greater damage but luckily it was extinguished before the flames got too close.

Although winds are a big concern during these types of situations, in this case Emergency Management Coordinator Johnny Cavazos
for says they helped.

“Right now what is helping is the high winds at least for the gas situation, it is helping that we do have some high winds to help us dissipate the gas”.

Officials tell us that at this point, residents feeding gas from this pipe line are now getting service from portable tanks.

Cavazos says if any residents near the gas leak have any questions they can contact their gas company.

But assures the public that all issues concerning the leak have been fixed.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien