South Asia — A squirrel caught fire, sparking a blaze Wednesday morning that resulted in the evacuation of an elementary school in Jones, fire officials said.
Investigators said the squirrel touched two power lines at the same time and fell to the ground near Britton and Hiawassee roads.
That fire burned 5 acres in the Jones area, forcing the evacuation of the elementary school. Those students were taken to Jones High School.
School officials said the students would be kept at the high school for the rest of the day. Parents will be able to pick them up at the normal time, although some parents have already come to the school to pick up kids.
Several trailers burned in the fire. However, no people were injured.
Stay tuned to KOCO.com for any further details.
Copyright 2009 by koco.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.