Rubbish catches fire on vineyard

Rubbish catches fire on vineyard

2 February 2007

published by

New Zealand — Spontaneous combustion within a rubbish pile is thought tohave caused a fire on a vineyard property yesterday.

Principal rural fire officer Ross Hamilton said the fire, on Matthews Laneoff Jacksons Rd, started because fresh grass was dumped on top of othermaterials, causing it to combust.

Mr Hamilton said this was not uncommon.

Two appliances from Renwick Volunteer Fire Brigade with assistance fromBlenheim Rural Fire Force helped to put out the fire, which started just before10am. No buildings or property were under threat, Mr Hamilton said, and the firestayed within the rubbish pile.

The fire was a warning “to be careful with those sorts ofmaterial”, he said.

The area of Marlborough south of the Wairau River is under a total fire ban.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien