South Africa — A post mortem has shown that the wife of a former radiopersonality died of smoke inhalation in a veld fire which got out of control.
Madelein Engelbrecht (41), wife of the former managing director of JacarandaFM, Willem, was fighting a veld fire with other farmers near Dewagendrift, eastof Pretoria, on Tuesday when she was she was caught in the smoke.
Willem’s brother, Eben, said the family was shocked by the violent nature ofthe death.
“Madelein was a loving person; she was also a big conservationist andthat was why she was out in the veld fighting the fire ,” he said.
He said fires had been burning in the area since Monday and the Engelbrechts’farm, which is part of a conservation area, had already been burned, althoughtheir house was saved.
Inspector Paul Ramaloko said police did not know the cause of the fire and aninquest docket was opened.
The family plans a service on the farm Edencare on Friday where Engelbrecht’sashes will be scattered.