Teenageboy, 16, to face bushfire charges

Teenageboy, 16, to face bushfire charges

31 January 2006

published by www.starnewsgroup.com.au


Australia — Olinda Department of Sustainability and Environment firefighters joined forces with Wesburn and Millgrove fire brigades to fight several fires in Warburton last week.

DSE and Country Fire Authority crews were called to bush land between Hooks Road and Scotchman’s Creek shortly after 12.45pm on Tuesday, 24 January.

Police believe three fires were deliberately lit in close proximity to each other.

After two hours, the fires were contained with the aid of Melbourne Water’s 1300-litre-capacity water-bombing helicopter, and ground crews, keeping the blaze to an area of two hectares.

Police have since charged a Warburton youth in relation to the fires.

Police media officer, Senior Constable Bijana Luccio said a youth was allegedly observed visiting the scene on two occasions and was arrested after leaving the scene the second time.

Sen Const Luccio said a 16-year-old youth has been interviewed and will be summoned to appear at the Children’s Court on a later date on charges of lighting a bushfire, conduct endangering life and other associated offences.


Back

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien