Taming the Dragon-Dalmatia 2002
GFMC Contribution to “Taming the Dragon – Dalmatia 2002”
21-24 May 2002
This web page is a contribution of the GFMC to the NATO wildland fire exercise “Taming the Dragon – Dalmatia 2002”. Since the GFMC is participating in the exercise (all GFMC staff) the information provided below is simulated, i.e. generated well in advance of the exercise (on 17 May 2002).
In a real case of a fire emergency in Croatia or any other country, the GFMC would provide daily access to the latest remote sensing products like the MODIS image below. The availability of satellite images depends on orbits and cloud cover.
In addition, the GFMC would produce daily, weekly and long-term (1-month) fire weather forecasts for the region concerned.
Access (liaison) to assistance is provided and facilitated by the GFMC:
- GFMC: Reconnaissance and situation assessment
- NATO: Euro-Atlantic Disaster Response Coordination Centre
- UN-OCHA: Situation assessment and coordination of international emergency support
- UN International Search and Rescue Advisory Group (INSARAG)
- International Wildland Fire Response Operators and Material Suppliers
Additional information on forest fires in Croatia
Forest Fires in Croatia – A Permanent Danger (IFFN No. 9 – July 1993)