One home confirmed lost in WA blaze

One home confirmed lost in WA blaze

31 January 2015

published byhttps://au.news.


Australia — The fire was sparked by lightning on Thursday morning and began south of Forrington Heights in the steep terrain of the Darling Range to the town’s east.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services said one home had been confirmed lost, and there were also unconfirmed reports of other structures being damaged.

An emergency warning is in place for an area bounded by Nanga Brook Road, Hill Street, McLartey Street and Paganini Road.

Earlier on Saturday, fire was burning within the townsite and embers were being blown far by the strong winds, threatening more homes.

But after 150 firefighters and water bombing aircraft tackled the blaze, DFES said it was burning around the townsite.

There is currently no running fire, DFES said.

An increase in winds is causing a concern.

Winds are forecast to re-strengthen and be gusty overnight, which could challenge containment lines.

The fire remains uncontrolled.

DFES says powerlines and eight power poles have been destroyed and about 35 customers are without electricity.

An emergency relocation point has been established in the nearby town of Harvey.

The Red Cross has opened its Register.Find.Reunite services to assist Waroona residents, who can register at www.redcross.org.au or in person at the evacuation centre.

Some 325 hectares has been burnt by the fire.
 


WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien